Life is a Journey

I am a Star Wars fanatic and I am a follower of Christ. The similarities between the Christian Faith and the Jedi Order have caused books to be written and I find it to be a great way to present my personal journey of faith as Jedi/Christian.

I know I am no longer a Padawan but somewhere in the midst of my knighthood my path got blurred, my faith had weakened, and I had almost lost hold of the purpose of the Jedi. Now equipped with the love of a family, a renewed hope with a purpose I am trying to find the my way back to the Order. My goal and desire is to be a Knight worthy of the honor, blessing and title of the Order. I Knight walking by deeds, words and power as I strive and grow into what the Masters have called me to be.

My Journey has not been easy and I have stumbled, struggled,
faltered, fell, even at times given up. However the Force and many of the Orders Knights and Masters haven't given up on me. So this is were you can join me in the very midst of my journey. That is the purpose of this blog. To be a place where others can join me in the journey that lies in the places somewhere between Padawan And Master. I hope to share the insight and words that touch my soul and catch hold of my intellect and my heart. To expose the things I fear and those things that spur me forward. It is my journey and I welcome you along.

Kenton J Mattos

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Thanksgiving Message - Day 18 - 11/24/2010

So tonight I had a powerful yet brief conversation with a Man I will call Fireman K. Who formally worked in Thurston County but is now a firefighter in Manson County. Here is just a brief cap of the conversation.

An Average Man in his late 40 or early 50 I am guessing came into the aisle I was working in this evening. I asked him if there was anything I could help him with. He asked if I had any recommendation for wrapping paper for a 10 year old boy. Through conversation regarding the boy who the present was for Fireman K told me he had drawn a name from a giving tree. I commented on how Mandy and I do it each year ourselves trying to find a girl and a boy to buy for. He said he just got a boy but decided to dive the boy one of his best Christmases buy not just buying one of the items the boy had asked for but all of them.

We continued conversing while he looked at wrapping paper and I worked. I was reminded of some lean Christmases as a kid where people where generous to us with food and gifts. I let fireman K know that he was doing a great thing and I know when some one did it for us it was impacting on my life. This is also one of the reasons we have done the angel tree for most of our married years because we have been blessed enough to do so. I started to talk about how we want Jillian to be raised knowing how to give to others and that we have started working towards paring down some of her stuff and talking to her about giving some to less fortunate than us.

I also told Fireman K that one of the parents of a classmate was a Fireman and that we had talked to him about donating some of Jilly's stuffed animals to the Fire department. This is how I found out that Fireman K was a Fireman. He said it was a great idea and that the stuffed animals are a very important tool in helping children. I found out that one of his responsibilities while he was a fireman in Thurston county was educating children from about three to seven years of age.

The way he talked you could tell this was something he loved and was passionate about. Sadly it sounds as if this is not one of his duties in Manson County. But he was hopeful that he could do it again someday. After our conversation was done and I was left to my own thoughts. My mind went to how giving this man was.

Not only did he give and serve the people of Thurston County in the past and Manson County now each day by putting his life on the line. By being there to help and save people. By having a heart to educate children in hopes of helping their fears of the fire suits, to training how to be safe and respond in emergencies. This man wanted to give a ten year old boy a Christmas he would always remember.

Being able to meet and talk to this average looking man showed me how not average he was. I am filled with thanks and gratitude that there are men and women like Fireman K in our city, counties, states, and nation.

So Fireman K if I never see you again or speak to you I am going to say thank you anyways.

Thank you for all you give.

No comments:

Post a Comment