Life is a Journey

I am a Star Wars fanatic and I am a follower of Christ. The similarities between the Christian Faith and the Jedi Order have caused books to be written and I find it to be a great way to present my personal journey of faith as Jedi/Christian.

I know I am no longer a Padawan but somewhere in the midst of my knighthood my path got blurred, my faith had weakened, and I had almost lost hold of the purpose of the Jedi. Now equipped with the love of a family, a renewed hope with a purpose I am trying to find the my way back to the Order. My goal and desire is to be a Knight worthy of the honor, blessing and title of the Order. I Knight walking by deeds, words and power as I strive and grow into what the Masters have called me to be.

My Journey has not been easy and I have stumbled, struggled,
faltered, fell, even at times given up. However the Force and many of the Orders Knights and Masters haven't given up on me. So this is were you can join me in the very midst of my journey. That is the purpose of this blog. To be a place where others can join me in the journey that lies in the places somewhere between Padawan And Master. I hope to share the insight and words that touch my soul and catch hold of my intellect and my heart. To expose the things I fear and those things that spur me forward. It is my journey and I welcome you along.

Kenton J Mattos

Monday, December 13, 2010

Double Dose - 12/13/2010

This weekends sermon by Pastor Jon Cobler hit home yet again. I found his words striking my heart and mind again and again. It has been amazing how God has used Living Water and the pastor there to speak to my heart and Mandy's heart. We have been greatly blessed and challenged on a regular bases in our time and season here. Thank you Lord for that and please keep it going.

The message this time was about the good news of Jesus being the Savior who is Christ the Lord(Luke 2:11). Pastor Jon's message focused in on the fact that not only are we saved from eternal separation from God(hell) but from the power of sin in our lives here on earth. We are not just talking about things like murder, abuse, drunkenness, adultery and the big sins. This includes the sins that we often see as lesser and even at times don't see as sin at all. Here is a list from Timothy which Pastor Jon referenced.

2 Timothy 3:2-4 (New Living Translation)

2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God.

Let me target in on the ones that registered on my radar. No self-control and love pleasure rather than God. Ever since service I have been pondering and mulling over this. I know there are many areas where I lack self-control and/or discipline. I had been working through my list and praying about them on Sunday. That was Sunday and today is Monday. God wasn't done with me or with this topic.

Early tonight, or last night as my blog writing has entered the next day, I picked up a book that I started a few months ago and haven't picked up in a while. You can probably guess where this is going. Yeah the chapter I read was about sin and how to overcome it. Again one sin registers on my radar that Dr. Swindoll mentions in Hand Me Another Brick. . . . Self-control.

What are some areas where you lack self-control in your life? Had you ever thought of it as a sin? Did you think that it could be impacting your life and those around you? I know I had to do some thinking about this. I know my life and my walk have definitely been and are being affected by my lack of self-control.

The good news like Pastor Jon said is that Jesus has provided us with a way to conquer sin. I am happy and encouraged to say I believe he is working in me right now. I am learning and seeking His solutions to overcoming the sins plaguing me. I hope that this battle and the victory will be an example to myself and others. So the journey and the adventure continues.

This is the path of the light side. It is the path of the God Follower. Changing and growing into something better and beyond what you have become.

PS More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment